Linear alkyl benzene (LAB) was introduced in the mid-1960s as a raw material for cleaning products. Since then, continuing and explosive research on its biodegradation and on its environmental and human toxicity has been performed. The efficiency of linear alkyl benzene sulfonate as surfactant is clearly established, and it is one of the safest and most cost-effective products in widespread commercial use. The aim of the present paper is to survey the most important developments and understandings of the chemistry of LAB production and of its physical and environmental properties.
Linear Alkyl Benzene is an important anionic surfactant alkyl benzene sulfonic acid upstream raw materials, widely used in washing, textile auxiliaries, industrial cleaning, printing and dyeing, electroplating, leather and paper industry etc.
Linear alkyl benzene (LAB) is mainly used as a commodity to produce sulfonic acid (LABSA) through the reaction of sulfonation, which is neutralized for the production of linear alkyl benzene sodium sulfonate (LAS), the main anionic surfactant used in the industry.
1) As an important material for liner alkyl benzene sulphonic acid,linear alkyl benzene is widely used in the production of a variety of detergents and emulsifiers, such as daily use chemical detergent,
utensils detergents, textile industry of the cleaning agent,dye,electro plating industry, leather industry, degreasing agents, paper industry’s de-coloring agent.
2) Can also used in Lubricate oil,capacitor oil,part of the solvent etc.
Laundry Detergents to Dominate the Market
• Linear alkyl benzene sulfonate (LABS) is a colorless organic compound and an intermediate chemical, used mainly for the purpose of manufacturing household and industrial cleaning agents. LABS also enjoys a good demand from the detergent industry as its basic raw material.
• The applications of LABS include heavy-duty laundry liquids, light-duty dishwashing liquids, laundry powders, etc.
• Major detergent manufacturers prefer using LABS, owing to its cost-performance ratio and versatility nature. LABS is also considered as one of the safest anionic surfactants from human health and environmental point of view.
• Countries such as India, China, etc., are the leading manufacturer of laundry detergent.
• For instance, in recent times, India is one of the largest producers of soaps and detergents, globally. Government initiatives, such as the Swachh Bharat Mission, promote health and hygiene. Such initiatives, along with growing usage of soaps and detergent, have led to the growth of the manufacturing industry, which is further boosting the demand for LABS in the country.
• Furthermore, the detergent industry of the United States includes around 630 establishments (single- and multi-location companies), with combined annual revenue of about USD 25 billion.
• In Germany the market for the soap and detergent manufacturing industry is dynamic, and the industry is known for strong product innovation, as the manufacturers compete to retain consumer interest.
• All the aforementioned factors are likely to increase the demand for linear alkylbenzene sulfonate over the forecast period.
220 Liter Drums